Tuesday, April 14, 2009

what I remember about the hospital

The first thing I remember was asking for my husband. I was a little shocked that he wasn't in the room waiting for me. I later learned of the ordeal he went through.
I don't really remember feeling much pain. I did not want an epidural so I had a pcp pump, for pain management.
The tube in my nose was the one thing I had feared, and I wasn't sure about it as I woke up. It went from my stomach out my nose and to a drain on the wall. It would make this gross noise as it sucks out your stomach. I had just a few visitors. I asked that no one come until I had that stupid thing out. It was a goal to get that thing out.
Food was weird, once I got the tube out I could eat soft foods, maybe 2 bits at a time. That's all I could hold. I hated doing the breathing treatment thing where you inhale into this machine and it helps your lungs stay clear.
My hospital stay was to be 3-5 days and I was able to stay the whole five. In an earlier post, I mentioned my husband being gone for part of my hospital stay, well that is due to one of our son's need to be at college Freshman orientation in the middle of all of this. Not wanting our son to feel like he was just "sent" out to school my wonderful husband flew out with him, and returned in time for my release.
The hospital staff were all really sweet, but I was ready to get to my own bed.
So home I headed. I was also going home with a feeding tub in my belly. They leave that in just in case you have trouble getting food in and keeping it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment