Saturday, April 11, 2009

I have to drink WHAT? and it makes you do WHAT?

Now it is only a week before surgery. I am lurking on all the Weight loss surgery web sites I could find, and I read everything. I tried to read the good stories as well as the Horror stories. I wanted to be informed. There is a place you can go and look at before and after pictures of people who had the DS (duodenal switch) and I would go on there for hours and daydream, of how it would be. http://www.duodenalswitch.com/patients/patients.html
How I was going to look. I read their stories too. There was a common thread that was quite alarming. DIVORCE. A lot of these people, once they had reached their goal, would "become" someone new. Many talked about why they married who they did. Some said they thought they wouldn't ever get anyone better. This happened more to people who had not ever been thin. The ones who had been "normal" size and married that way and gradually became obese, didn't seem to have as high of a divorce rate.
I was okay with that. I was "normal" before my marriage. And besides that, we were still in love.

When I went in initially, the Dr. pushed around on my tummy and concluded I would only need to lose 1-2 lbs before surgery. It would help shrink the liver, there by making the surgery easier. I understand, some patients have to lose 20 lbs or more before they are allowed to have surgery. Luckily for me, I was only 1-2 pounds away from my dream.

The week-end before the DS I had to do a sort of cleansing of my intestines and stomach. I did liquids for a day and the day before surgery I had to drink this very yucky stuff that completely "clean " you out. OHMYGOSH. That was gross. Both the taste and the results of it...
Let's just say, it worked.

My last visit to the Dr office was a weigh in and check on all paper work as I recall. I remember the nurse saying something like, "Okay Donna lets see if you lost what you need to so you can have your surgery." That kind of scared me. I hadn't really tried to lose a pound. Come on, if I could lose weight would I be having the surgery? As I got on the scale, I was trying to stand as "light" as I could. Yeah I know, another fat persons game.
As it turned out I did lose the 2 pounds, in fact, I think I lost like five. So there!

Looks like all is a go. Next blog will be from my husbands own words, (as I was kind of out of it for a few days.)

No comments:

Post a Comment