Saturday, April 11, 2009

starting from the beginning...


This blog is a journal of sorts, for me to track the progress of my weight loss.

On September 2, 2008, I had bariatric surgery, RNY with a duodenal switch. http://www.duodenalswitch.com/procedure/procedure.html

To be honest I research for several years here and there, all the while trying to "do it all on my own". In 2005 My father had a type of bariatric surgery, and in 9 months he was dead. This was devastating as you can imagine. His outcome I would later learn was mostly because of his non-compliance. I vouded I would never put my family through this kind of pain, and I would never have this type of surgery.

I began to think about it off and on for the next couple of years, then a friend of mine, who's husband works with mine, (therefor having the same medical insurance as me) got 100 percent covered for the surgery. I was so intrigued. I started imagining me getting the surgery. Her surgeon was top notch, and I was impressed at how much she knew of his success.

Gary Anthone, MD, FACS. I went to one of the seminars and I was hooked! I wanted to sign up and get my surgery date scheduled.

I was so excited, I called the Dr.'s office the very next day only to find out it doesn't work "that fast".

First I had to have documentation of having tried a medically supervised diet, exercise, and all for at least 6 months. Cool, I had done this for over a year. No problem. Next I had to have a "work up" done while waiting for the insurance to "approve" this surgery. Duh... I knew it would be. Remember my friend...Same insurance ... I had my first visit to Doc Anthone and we talked about history, (I had all my records in hand, as to not get them lost in the "mailing of them) He took my picture and said I was a perfect candidate for this surgery. He quoted me something like losing 75% of my excess weight, and What that would put me at. That day I weighed in at 330. But I was recently 342. From that time on, they would mention my starting weight and mean 330, and I would refer to 342. It is a fat persona #'s game. But it is how we do it. I from this point on will refer to my highest weight when figuring my weight loss.

I had to have a psy eval. piece of cake. I had been to shrinks before, no problem. At that visit, I think I made a new friend. Then there was the waiting for the actual approval before I could actually schedule the surgery. Geez, they wouldn't just take my word for it.

Finally the word came in as I was actually on the phone with his office. As I remember it, Lisa, said the usual, "No, Donna, we have not heard from your insurance." Then a plea from me that went something like, "I am sorry I keep calling, I am just so excited to start my life again." and then she must have felt compassion or something because she had me hold on she thought she saw the mail man. ( No I am not making this up.) She said ,"Hold on, I think I have something here that just might be from Blue cross. (my insurance) and she said something like,"Will you come and give me a hug If I tell you we have your approval?" I think I cried. She at that moment, transfered me back to schedule my surgery. September 2nd, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment